On November 9, 2022, the U.S. Supreme Court heard oral arguments in Haaland v. Brackeen, one of the most important Indian law cases in decades in which the Indian Child Welfare Act is being challenged. During the debrief, this distinguished panel will discuss the case and reflect on the oral arguments. See the ABA’s amicus brief in Haaland v. Brackeen (https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/news/2022/haaland-v-brackeen-amicus.pdf), the ABA’s policy on the Indian Child Welfare Act (https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/directories/policy/annual-2019/115c-annual-2019.pdf)
- Deborah Enix-Ross (Welcome Remarks) – President, American Bar Association; Senior Advisor, International Dispute Resolution Group, Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Erin Dougherty Lynch – Staff Attorney, Native American Rights Fund
- Paul Spruhan – Assistant Attorney General, Litigation Unit, Navajo Nation Department of Justice
- Prudence Beidler Carr – Director, ABA Center on Children and the Law
- Suzanne Garcia (Moderator)– Child Welfare Legal Specialist, Tribal Law and Policy Institute
CART services will be available.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS PROGRAM IS NOT FOR CLE CREDIT.